Self Service and contactless hotel check-in solutions provide the ability to collect all necessary guest details automatically, with little to no contact from the reception desk. Prior to the coronavirus pandemic, hotels were already moving towards contactless experiences but the pandemic solidified this as a ubiquitous trend across geographies and market segments. Mobile check-in details include passport scans, payment or deposit, E-signatures, arrival time, and more. This helps avoid unnecessary lines at reception providing an improved arrival experience and first impression. Using online check-in allows hoteliers and hotel staff to receive all the information ahead of time, re-establish relationships with guests (often reduced due to OTA’s), and offer additional services - it's the gateway to guest engagement and for digitizing the guest experience. New technology has made digital check-in and touchless guest experiences possible for all hotels and not just the major brands. Social distancing rules drove new demand for hotel tech like QR code ordering systems and digital registration cards. The hotel industry has adapted by moving concierge into apps and messaging services - initiatives that brands like Hilton and Marriott have been pioneering for years but now the technology is cheap and easy enough for even small boutique hotels.
1. Reduce labor tasks: Automate manual tasks like identity verification and check-in to increase efficiency. These efficiencies reduce labor costs while helping your team provide better service
2. Generate incremental revenue: Having guests check-in online prior to arrival allows your hotel to offer additional services such as room upgrades, transportation and early check-in during the anticipation stage before their trip when they’re most likely to splurge. This is the perfect moment to introduce a passive offer that doesn’t feel transactional like it does when sold by most front desk agents.
3. Enhance the guest experience: By collecting all the details in advance, hotels eliminate the queues at the reception and provide an better arrival experience, even if the hotels wants to put an emphasis on personal relationship, the experience is far superior because reception has time to properly speak to guests COVID -19 related : reduce unnecessary crowding and physical contact.
- Guest interaction time: Automating the manual process allows hotels to work more efficiently and perform better with limited staff, spending an average of 17 less on managing each guest, since guests have access to all the information ahead of time
- Revenue per guest: Revenue per guest should increase by $12 per guest as the conversion rate for upsells increases dramatically
- Guest satisfaction: While online check-in improves communication and affects long term customer retention, instant results can be seen in guest satisfaction, increasing review rates, as well as direct bookings.